Wellness Tips - Be Heart Smart
February is National Heart Month, and not because it is Valentine’s Day. The American Heart Association’s has a “Go Red” campaign which aims to help women take action against heart disease.
Heart disease has been mostly associated with men; however, it is also the leading cause of death among women.
The following is a list of a few things you can do to help your heart:
- Limit your intake of fat
- Limit your intake of sugar
- Limit your intake of salt
- Eat more whole grains, fresh produce and low fat dairy products
- Eat lean meat and poultry
- Include fish in your diet
- Become physically active for at least 30 minutes a day start out small, 10 minutes at a time
- Stop smoking if you smoke
- Limit your intake of alcohol
Eating a healthy diet is one of the best ways to fight cardiovascular disease. Exercise is another, even 10 minutes a day may offer some health benefits.
The Williamsport Home offers low fat, no added salt and diabetic diets.
This information is not intended to take the place of any advice given to you by your healthcare professional(s). They know what your specific medical conditions and medications are.